The Public Association “Law Centre of Advocates” is looking for a qualified person for a vacant position of Lawyer to support the “Legal assistance to refugees and asylum-seekers in Moldova” Project.
This is a full-time employment.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Lawyer to support the “Legal assistance to refugees and asylum-seekers” Project.
8 hours working day
Until 31 December 2020, with possible extension
Start date of the job:
as soon as possible
The Law Center of Advocates (LCA) is a public association founded in 1997. LCA’s mission lies in the implementation of the projects and programs aimed at promoting Rule of Law, human rights, institution development, commenting on draft legislation; developing continuous training programs; and delivering legal assistance to all refugees, asylum seekers, beneficiaries of humanitarian protection and stateless persons. LCA is a partner to UNHCR since 1998. With UNHCR support, LCA implements a legal assistance project aimed at the rights and well-being of people in need of international protection are in line with international and European standards.
The overall goals of the Project in 2020 are to provide free-of-charge legal counseling for asylum-seekers and refugees and facilitate access to legal aid whenever possible; conduct border monitoring visits; monitor reception and detention conditions in all facilities under the supervision of the Ministry of Internal Affairs; build the capacity of the Government with regard to access to territory and asylum procedures: trainings for border police, judges, public defenders and intelligence staff on refugee law; workshops for police officers and social workers on SGBV response, referral mechanisms to address SGBV and child protection; and informative sessions for guardianship authority’s staff on child protection within RSD procedure.
Key areas of accountability
The Lawyer will:
- visit the Border Crossing Points, Migration Accommodation Centre in Chisinau, and/or other detention facilities to support the national state authorities in ‘screening’ of various categories of migrants, ensuring that asylum rights are upheld, detention of asylum seekers is discouraged, legal and social assistance is provided.
- ensure the legal assistance at the entry border crossing point all the persons in need of international protection (upon request).
- elaborate a report on monitoring border activities that will include a comprehensive description on the current situation regarding the access to the territory of people in need international protection (based on monitoring visits; confidential interviews with asylum-seekers regarding the data collection on their entry in Moldova and the national and international legal framework).
- provide legal counseling/ assistance to people in need of international protection in public custody (detention).
- provide legal counseling to asylum seekers, refugees, beneficiaries of humanitarian protection, and stateless persons in asylum and stateless procedure.
- consistently apply International and National Refugee Law.
- All communications and documentation related to the assignment are in English and Romanian.
- The lawyer will work under the guidance of LCA project coordinator (and UNHCR focal point for Moldova) and LCA Executive Director.
Qualifications and skills required:
I. Academic Qualifications:
II. Experience and knowledge:
· Knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel (using for reporting and presentation)
· Good organizational and time-management abilities.
Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular, respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status.
The LCA is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
V. Documents to be included when submitting the application:
Interested candidates must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
1. Personal CV including past experience.
2. A cover letter in English.
VII. How to apply:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews and tests will be contacted.
For additional information, please contact us by using the email address provided or by phone at 022 240-898, contact person – Natalia Postaru – Project coordinator.
În contextul epidemiei Coronavirus (COVID-19),
Centrul de Drept al Avocaților activează în regim online/telefon
oferind consiliere juridică solicitanților de azil, refugiaților, apatrizilor.
CONTACTE: 068828180 (inclusiv Viber)
060574848 (inclusiv Viber, WhatsApp)
069137160 (inclusiv Viber)
068550019 (inclusiv Viber, WhatsApp)
Centrul de Drept al Avocaților
Măsuri de protecție de bază împotriva noului coronavirus
Fiți la curent cu cele mai recente informații despre focarul COVID-19, disponibile pe site-ul OMS și prin intermediul autorității dumneavoastră naționale și locale de sănătate publică.
Sursa video-uri Organizatia Mondială a Sănătății.