The Public Association “Law Centre of Advocates” is looking for a qualified person for a vacant position of Legal Counselor to support the “Legal assistance to refugees and asylum-seekers in Moldova” Project in good working of LCA activities.
This is a full-time employment.
The timeframe for the work of the Legal Counselor will be started: 01 June 2018 until 31 December 2018.
The proposal should be submitted by e-mail: email@example.com.
Start date of the job: as soon as possible
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Legal Counselor to support the “Legal assistance to refugees and asylum-seekers” Project.
Law Center of Advocates (LCA) is a public association founded in 1997. LCA’s mission lies in the implementation of the projects and programs aimed at promoting Rule of Law, human rights, institution development, commenting on draft legislation; developing continuous training programs; and delivering legal assistance to all refugees, asylum seekers, beneficiaries of humanitarian protection and stateless persons. LCA is a partner to UNHCR since 1998. With UNHCR support, LCA implements a legal assistance project aimed that the rights and well-being of people in need of international protection are in line with international and European standards.
The overall goals of the Project in 2018 are to improve authorities’ capacities to process asylum claims in line with international standards and increase the protection space for asylum seekers, refugees and beneficiaries of humanitarian protection (persons of concern); maintain and further improve access to territory and asylum procedure of people in need of international protection; dignified reception conditions; reduce the detention of asylum-seekers and end the detention of children; promote refugees’ integration; promote positive public attitudes towards UNHCR’s persons of concern; and improve relevant national capacities to support refugees and asylum seekers.
Key areas of accountability
LCA is seeking job applications for a Legal Counselor in anticipation of a forthcoming 6 months UNHCR-funded Project in:
- visit national Border Crossing Points, Migrant Accommodation Centre in Chisinau and/or other detention facilities to support the national state authorities in ‘screening’ of various categories of migrants, ensuring that asylum rights are upheld, detention of asylum seekers is discouraged, legal and social assistance is provided.
- ensure the legal assistance at the entry border crossing point all the persons in need of international protection (upon request).
- elaborate a report on monitoring border activities that will include a comprehensive description on current situation regarding the access to the territory of people in need international protection (based on monitoring visits; confidential interviews with asylum-seekers regarding the data collection on their entry in Moldova and the national and international legal framework).
- provide legal counseling/ assistance to persons in public custody (detention)
- provide legal counseling to asylum seekers, refugees, beneficiaries of humanitarian protection, and stateless persons in finding durable solutions and asylum procedure.
– All communications and documentation related to the assignment are in English and Romanian.
– The legal counselor work under the guidance of LCA Project Coordinator (and UNHCR delegated representative) and LCA Executive Director.
Qualifications and skills required:
- Academic Qualifications:
- University degree, preferably in international law or human rights law.
- Experience and knowledge:
- Knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel (using for reporting and presentation)
- Good organizational and time-management abilities.
- Good analytical skills and good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under stress and in crisis situations.
- Cultural and gender awareness.
- Fluency in Romanian, Russian and English languages.
- Driver license.
Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular, respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status.
The LCA is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Documents to be included when submitting the application:
Interested candidates must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Personal CV including past experience.
- A cover letter in English.
VII. How to apply:
The proposal, with the subject line: “Legal Counselor, UNHCR Project” should be submitted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 May 2018 (16:00, local time) or Address for submission: 8, Vlaicu Parcalab str., Chisinau, Republic of Moldova.
For additional information, please contact us by using the email address provided or by phone at 022 240-898, contact person – Natalia Postaru – Project coordinator.